Monday, May 14, 2012

Searchlight

Today is house inspection day and although I don't think there's anything to be concerned about there's always the chance that something will come up I was not expecting since I know jack sh*t about house structure. If the inspection goes okay it means that I really need to start worrying about finding somewhere to live. I have a couple options for somewhere to stay while I look for a new house but I'd obviously prefer not to have to move all my stuff twice.

I also have an appointment to go look at a house tomorrow. I sure hope it's a lot better than the last two I looked at! Houses here are quite old, even the house I'm in is almost 70 years old, so your options are limited - you either look at a pokey old farmhouse that has spent the last 130 years settling, shifting and aging or you look at a house that some guy built with his eyes closed 30 years ago. The house I'm going to look at has one acre and looks out over a farmer's field where his cattle graze. I can't imagine how amazing that would be! Good thing I'm used to the smell of a feedlot down the road. We'll see, the house was originally a minihome (mobile home for Westerners) but has been converted to a bungalow. Let's hope they did a nice job.

There is one house, the Three Brooks house, which is still an option but only if the basement issue can be resolved easily and without too much expense. My dad also has concerns about the roof but that would be something we'd have to look more closely at if the house becomes a serious contender.

Everyone says to not rush the process but it's hard to not worry. If I didn't have the dogs and cats I wouldn't worry so much but prevailing on someone for their hospitality when you have a herd of animals is a bit much. It certainly results in a bigger hassle than if you didn't have any at all!

At this point my options are limited by my budget and the lack of homes on the market that are suitable to my purposes. Oddly enough last Fall that there were many more houses on the market that would have suited me ... you'd think Spring would have them coming out of the woodwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment