Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Counting Sleeps

Instead of counting sleeps until I move I am counting dog walks. Only 3 more times I have to walk my dogs on property I don't own before we move. For a long time I've found walking the dogs stressful because I am constantly on watch for anything that might pop out of the wilderness, people strolling by or cars zipping past on the road. Today, for example, I was walking the dogs behind the elementary school and the garbage truck came to empty the bins at the school. The dogs were very curious what that man was doing opening a gate, walking around and driving a big machine that made lots of noise. Visions of the dogs crushed under the wheels of a garbage truck came unhappily to mind so I called them over and held them until he was done. Then, just as we were leaving, a man walking his huge white fluffy dog appeared across the field and I had to hustle and distract the dogs to prevent them from going over to say hi. One Ridgeback greeting is fine, 3 is not and can quickly get out of control when the 'strange' dog is on lead and would be justified if it felt threatened and acted out. Best to silently tick off each walk knowing that every single one is just another walk closer to never having to worry about cars, garbage trucks, other dogs or people again.


My house is now almost packed. The only things left out are those items I use in everyday life. It will be a simple matter of throwing a few things into boxes on Sunday morning, emptying last minute rooms like the bathroom and bedroom, giving them a quick clean and going to get the truck. I have reservations about where and what truck we will end up with. I am hopeful the truck will be just down the street where it's supposed to be but am told by the company that may not happen - the truck will be at the closest location to me that they can manage. I would hope that it's not Truro.


Because my closing date is the same as my possession date I have no idea when I will actually be moving in since all the paperwork needs to be in order before I can get the keys. Apparently lots of things need to happen on that day the most important of which is that I need to be out of my house by 8am on Monday morning. Who thought up that time is beyond me because in Alberta it was normally noon, enough time to get loaded and out the door, not so in Nova Scotia. It means I have to load everything on Sunday, store it overnight in the truck, stay at my friend Donna's house that night, and then move everything to the new house the next day assuming all goes according to plan at the lawyer's office.



Whatever happens though I can't even begin to describe how excited I am to be moving to a house in the country. A few acres, land of my own, a little plot to call home for me and the dogs. Years of planning have come to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment