Friday, March 20, 2009

Crusoe

Once I decided that I was going to move to the Maritimes I had some research to do. I knew that I wanted to be in one of the three provinces but not which one. They all had their positives and negatives. I had some exploring to do via the internet.

Prince Edward Island of Anne of Green Gables fame is more temperate, smaller, and the house prices were slightly less depending on what you were looking for. Unfortunately a lot of the jobs seemed to be seasonal and the 'real' jobs were close to major centres which meant you had to live near one which affected the house prices.

New Brunswick, which borders Maine and Quebec, had good prices, several major centres and had house prices that I was really impressed with. The downside is that half of NB is bilingual which I'm absolutely not.

Nova Scotia. Latin for New Scotland. Several major centres, lots of job prospects and rooted in Scottish tradition. I haven't yet come across a negative. Time will tell.

So Nova Scotia it was. I was pretty candid in my assessments of each province. A decision to uproot my life had to be grounded in good research. But a lot of it had to do with intuition and knowing that I wanted to get as close to the Scottish feeling as I could.

So now I know what province. Now where within said province?

No comments:

Post a Comment