Sunday, March 29, 2009

This Old House

So now I own a house in Nova Scotia. I flew back to Calgary and waited for all the financing etc to go through and eventually the closing came and went and voila! I am an official house owner! Now ... to the important things - planning the move and renovations ...

The roof shingles need to be replaced which is a simple enough process since this is what the interior of the attic looks like. Perfect. There are a couple areas outside that need the wood replaced but that was worked into the quote I got.





The house skirting is currently plywood which I will change to a white vinyl skirting so it doesn't rot from water damage - it was raining when I took this picture and you can see the water in the wood. This is the southwest corner of the house. Yes ... it's a south facing backyard. The dogs will just DIE.


I'm also planning on putting eavestroughs on the house. You may notice there are no eaves or soffits except over the front entrance. Not sure why in such a wet climate but eavestroughs will keep a lot of the water away from the house.





The window frames need painting and the front and back doors need a coat as well, they are newer doors but have never been painted. I'm thinking a royal blue actually to accent the blue of the house itself. The frames of the windows will of course be white.




The decks, both front and back, are incredibly well built. I'm debating painting them or leaving them natural. Painting means maintenance but it will look so darn nice, a pale blue house with a royal blue door and white accents? So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment