Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Doors

As spring is coming on and the Home Renovation Tax Credit ended with January 2010 I have several projects lined up that I am planning to tackle. I finally have the spare room door replaced, it was not is any great shape as you can see. When I moved in this little hole was on the livingroom side of the door. The day I arrived we had to go out and buy some supplies and get lunch so I shut the dogs in the spare room for a couple hours. They made short work of a small hole on the other side of the door.
So I bought a new door and My Amazing Dad came over to install it. He cut the handle hole, chipped out the hinge spaces and we hung it quite easily. More easily than I'd have thought actually. It really is amazing what a difference something new and fresh can make. I think the total replacement cost for this door was about $60. But ... you can't beat the bargain basement price of this next renovation. I discovered partway through December that when I was sitting in the livingroom I could feel a draft. I thought it was coming from under the spare door, that room isn't heated, so I put a draft stopper along the bottom. Still a draft. Thought it was the front door, another draft stopper. Still a draft. The draft was coming from the entrance to the livingroom. I hung a sheet and voila ... no more draft. Well, a sheet isn't very nice and an annoying PIA so I decided that a French door would do the trick. I figured I could shut the dogs behind it if necessary and to stop the cats annoying the crap out of me I'd take out a pane of glass so they could go back and forth without demanding I open the door.


I went French door shopping knowing they cost about $100. I knew I wanted a simple finger-jointed pine door, unpainted and pretty standard. I was perusing the door aisle of our local DIY and came across their 'no returns' section. Always with an eye tuned to a bargain I started looking through the doors. What's this? A 32" finger-jointed pine French door with a DAMAGED - NO RETURN sticker on the side. Well, what is wrong with it? It had one single broken pane. It was $20. I bought it on the spot. I explained to the HI employee that the broken pane was perfect as I intended to remove one anyway from whatever door I bought. He then expressed his concern about removing the pane, "I wonder the best way to get that pane out?" Uh. Break it?

I discovered upon getting the door home that the pane of glass that was broken is actually the second from the top, not the bottom, so I ended up hanging it upside down. I think, unless you actually knew it was upside down, you'd never know. My Amazing Dad, with his circular saw that is literally older than I am (but with a new blade so it still cuts marvelously), cut off some of the bottom/top of the door because it exactly fit the space it needed to be put into and all doors need room to swing.


Last week My Amazing Dad and I spent the day hanging this door - actually My Amazing Dad hung the door, I watched and held various tools and made lunch. It is quite a process. You never realize how important 'square' is until you try to hang a door. The entry to the livingroom was 36" and the door was 32" so we had to make up the space with 1x4 pieces of wood. Here is a terrible photo of the door partially painted and the wood(kinda) inbetween the original frame and the new frame. The handle hole was an absolute bitch when we tried to put the handle in it but we finally manhandled the thing so it would work properly. It does now thank doG. I also moved the desk from the kitchen, where it was increasingly annoying me, into the livingroom where, conveniently I can now surf online and watch TV ... the stuff of dreams. You can see the internet cable strung up and over the door. And now you can't. I painted the cable the same color as the walls and I think it blends beautifully. This is obviously the livingroom side. When this door is shut it takes about 10 minutes for the room to warm comfortably and stay warm. And this is the kitchen side of the door, the bathroom is off to the right and my bedroom is off to the left. The hardwood still needs refinishing but that will wait until warmer weather and I can open all the windows.

But wait! What about that pane of glass that was to be removed? Why ... I did remove it. I had to shove the cats through a few times each to show them where the hole was located and only Ceilidh jumped into the wrong pane once - she leaped into the middle pane, slid down, shook her head, looked to her left at the correct hole and hopped through. Here is Archer demonstrating which pane is missing. Raimi's head does fit but he doesn't like putting his head through and Leeloo refuses to lower herself to such monkeyshines.
In all, this door cost about $90 total including the hardware, casing and paint - a pretty good solution to a cold winter draft! I also expect in the summer, with the monster fan going, that the room will cool down quite nicely too ... can't wait to test it!

No comments:

Post a Comment