Saturday, July 4, 2009

Wind at my Back



Currently it's raining here a little again and it's overcast. Not the kind of overcast I'm used to where it's just plain dark out but the kind where the clouds are high and it's just a wash of pale gray across the sky. Much brighter 'overcast' than I'm used to. It's been like this for about 4 or 5 days now and ... I love it. I much prefer this gray to a bright sun. When the sun is out here at above 20 degrees it's almost unbearable.


The air is soft ... there is just no other way to describe it. It envelopes you and clings you your skin And it's almost still quite often. So still the leaves don't move. Even during rain there is rarely more than a very slight slant - just enough to indicate the direction of the clouds. For several days there has been almost no wind or a very slight breeze which is almost eerie if you're used to gusty Calgary. Even when it is windy it's a warm wind ...

Rain varies widely also. It can be incredibly heavy downpour where it comes straight down like so:

Or it can come down in what seems like a spray bottle set on mist. There is a regular rain with actual raindrops and whatnot but even then it's a warm rain. When Calgary rain hits your skin it's like an icicle of pain stabbing into your very bones. Don't miss that.

I have done some work in the garden. I got all my bushes for my garden at half price. It's only the beginning of July and yet things are going on sale. They must start their season much sooner than I'm used to. So I bought two rhododendrons, two more peonies, an elderberry, a tiger eye, two clematis, three sad but hopeful burning bushes, two hydrangeas, a very pretty dreamcatcher, a satin chocolate, and a little tiny bush who's name I can't remember. Why all bushes you ask? Well, because I also have the veggie garden I needed to be able to plant things that wouldn't cast large patches of shade over it. The only thing missing really is the stepping stones because right now it just looks like a bunch of little plants without any direction. Oh and some annuals in a window box in the wheel well of the trailer ...

No comments:

Post a Comment