Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Corner Gas

Due to lack of internet access for the last couple days I'm a bit behind but still alive. I'll start from the morning of the second day ... we successfully hit the road leaving Swift Current at about 7:30am Wednesday morning. The wind was once again at my back and the road was as flat as one can expect from Saskatchewan.

I’ve never been through southern SK, only the middle bit to Yorkton(don’t recommend it) and Saskatoon(recommend it as a pretty little stop).

Since we were in grain country I thought I’d take some photos of ye olde grain elevators. A prairie icon. I remember the one Cochrane had decades ago when I was growing up – I think it burned down actually – a dying icon.
This is what they look like now. Oh. Ew.
This is what delivers the grain to the elevators for the trains to pick up and ship across the world.
Saskatchewan is known for the fields of flat. They grow stuff there. Canola, barley, wheat, sunflowers, corn … whatever. But if you can believe it there is a lake in this photo – super flat, super wide … water.
This is pretty hill type things … fascinating stuff. I swear.
Speaking of fascinating … this is not snow. What is it? No really … what *is* it? Looks like snow, banks and banks of it.
Regina has rabbits … it seems. The road to Regina seemed to perpetually slope upward which killed my mileage and made me like the prairies less than usual. Deceptively not flat.
Manitoba put some real effort into their ‘Welcome to’ sign. And yes, I’m totally photographing each province’s sign. Proof of crossing.

Approaching Winnipeg I saw this sign and had to take a picture for my TLOTR peeps out there.
Trees used as wind breaks have always seemed kind of cool to me. Not sure why.
I arrived in Winnipeg in pretty good time and got on the perimeter road that felt like it would never end. I easily found Jeff & Danielle’s (of Jahina Ridgebacks) lovely house where the dogs could run safely in their 2 acre fully fenced yard and then ...
Blessed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment