Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Littlest Hobo

Thursday morning. 5:18am. I’m beginning to get worried about how little sleep I am managing to get. I get to bed in plenty of time but as soon as my head hits the pillow my mind starts to tick over. Very frustrating.

After a gas up and cuppa joe I got out of Winnipeg in good time and headed into the sunrise of a gorgeous sunny day. Anyone remember grade 4 social studies? Canadian Shield ring a bell? I’ve never actually seen it. This prairie girl kind of thought ‘what’s the big damn deal?’ Look. Neat! I was quite excited. It’s a thick, giant, sheet of rock covering most of northern Canada … really. Doesn't look that exciting does it?
Ontario was very welcoming. And threw me right into Ontario construction. Thoughtful.
Oh look, in case you forgot, or missed the first sign, you have a reminder that you are still in fact, in Ontario. They splurged a little more on this sign too. Money saved not fixing the actual roads with all that construction.
Check. It. Out. When I say that Northern Canada is covered by a sheet of solid rock … seriously, I mean it. You can see where they’ve cut into the roc and there is about a foot or two of dirt and then *solid rock*. Granite. Crazy. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of acres of it. Rock.
The infamous ‘bump’ warning. Sometimes I’d see six of these leading up to a bump that I would barely have noticed, other times there was one sign right at the bump, one of which I was pretty sure nearly sheared off all my tires. Thanks for nothing.
And the moose. The *hackney* moose. I’m 100% sure they don’t really move like this.
And apparently hackney moose are more dangerous at night. Do these ones inflict more damage than daytime moose? How can I tell the difference between these moose? Very disturbing.
Did I mention the water? Lake after lake of it. Bee, Longbow, Foot, Falcon … lakes and lakes. Names seemingly plucked out of a hat full of nouns. So many lakes ... likely because the meters and meters of rock means they don't drain.
A lucky moment. Loons. Hence the name ‘loonie’ for our dollar coin which has none other than a loon on it.
The rig at a pee stop for the dogs. The truck is handling this trip very well. I’m so proud of it. That there is a photograph of everything I own … except the house that waits for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment