Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Trenton Park in the Fall

Everyone, and I mean everyone, who has ever seen fall colors on the east coast just raves about them. Seeing pictures of the Autumn does not do it justice but I can try.

Canada's national symbol is the maple leaf. Admittedly I never understood the significance of using the maple leaf to represent the entire country because the maple does not grow in the prairies. I understand that the prairies is quite a bit younger than the founding provinces which are overrun with maple so I can forgive this little oversight. For anyone who does not live in the prairies and doesn't know ... the fall colors are a flash of mostly yellow and gone before you know it. On the east coast the colors turn slowly and and make a big damn deal about it. That allows for some pretty cool leaf patterns depending on the kind of tree and how cold it's gotten at night.
The tips change first because that's the part that gets colds first, the inner leaves remain green for some time into the fall while the outside of the tree is all red like so ...
There are different kinds of maples, at least one of them gives up maple syrup - I think that's called a sugar maple but I don't know what it specifically looks like. Maybe it's this one:
Some of the trees seem to be put on a deliberate display of color in an attempt to out-perform their neighbour.
When I arrive the trees will be just leafing up and everything will be a brilliant green. It will be a different perspective of the foliage there but I'll leave you now to drool over this ...

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen colors like that since I moved from northern California. You will have lots of photo-ops when those fall colors roll around.

    ReplyDelete