Tuesday, May 19, 2009

On the Road Again

If you're following my dog blog you know that I'm in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, about 5 hours east of Calgary in the middle of the prairie. We got on the road after my walk through which was the cherry on the top of the shit city Calgary is. They are complaining about the state of the grass in the backyard ... well duh. Maybe I shouldn't complain - they don't know I had 3 cats and 4 dogs plus three litters of puppies in that place when they thought I only had Halo and the one cat.


So we set out and the truck seemed to be handling the load very well except for the wind. Calgary couldn't get rid of me fast enough with a stiff ass northwest wind pushing me along. I turned slightly south and the truck was like WTF? I knew i had to stop in Brooks for gas and could not wait. Between the wind making the expens on the roof hum, the flapping tarp on the trailer and the water bucket handle clattering against the bowl I was going round the bend. We stopped, gassed, peed, secured things and hit the road again.

From then on it was gorgeous driving. Flat smooth incredible roads. The truck hummed along easily and we made great time and it was easy on the gas. Nice. Here's some clicks I took along the way ...

Ominous clouds to the north which fortunately were heading away from us. Clouds like this are is quite common on the horizon on the prairies. You can see them coming and usually a stiff wind precedes it. Gives you time to alter your picnic plans.
The most interesting thing about the prairies is the sky. Constantly changing, rarely the same two days straight and cumulonimbus is very common, incredibly beautiful and is the rainmaker. Quire serious about it sometimes too. Yes, I did just use cumulonimbus in a sentence ... grade 5 science - thank you Mrs. Miller.
I was heading into a heavy shower for quite sometime. It must have been travelling east a little more slowly than me as I caught it up in Medicine Hat. It's the heavy, cold raindrop kind of cloud and sweeps along drenching everything.
If you can believe it this is a buffalo. I think when I was in school they were almost extinct or endangered or something. Maybe they still are. Here's two of them. I think they are making a come back. Ever been near one? Think cow only twice as impressive ... and scary.
Legitimate wildlife. Antelopes or gazelles or whatever. I think this is what Leeloo is crossed with.
Entering Saskatchewan. Goodbye ... riddance ... whatever Alberta. Cedric - my travelling gnome - was also unmoved by the Alberta exit. I'm not sure what 'Saskatchewan, Naturally' means unless no one shaves or uses personal hygiene products. Could be they are environmentally inclined. I hope it's the second one.
I won't bore too much with Saskatchewan countryside. This is pretty much it. Not all the landscape has a train in it but if it doesn't have a train or something else of note it can get kind of monotonous. Don't believe me? This is sans train. Yawn. Okay - it's a little pretty. These are the Cypress Hills. Impressed?
And this is the direction we're headed. Hard to believe at the end of that road is the ocean and my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment